Who are we?
Over 200 young and adult hams., ages 8 to adult. Organized in 2007 with members now in 31 States and 4 countries, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, USA. We also have 51 Adult members who act as resources and support for our activities, when needed and called upon. Click on the <Home> link above for our main page.
What are we?
We are an international group whose major purpose is to experience the ways we can enjoy the many aspects of amateur radio! Promoting it to others and maintaining a connection with each other through weekly newsletters, on the air contacts, this website, along with occasional team wide activities. Our name was modified in 2014 to <Young Amateurs Communications Ham Team> to reflect our focus on all phases of ham radio.
When & Where do we Meet?
Visit with us on Sat. at 7pm CST on the YACHT Youth echolink net, on the W8PIF-R repeater #481872. You can also contact the Menominee DAR club K8DAR through the W8PIF-R. We also maintain a team web page which you are on right now. We also host the South African/YACHT Friendship net at 1pm CST every 1st Saturday of the month. A number of young hams in that country are members and check in at that time. Join us and become acquainted with a group of Hammies from South Africa. We can be heard monthly.
Why do we have YACHT?
YACHT was organized in the summer of 2007 by Jim Pearson (KS8O), and Ed Engleman (KG8CX). We saw the need to provide for the continuation of our great hobby among young amateurs. Also to provide them with the challenge, excitement and enjoyment of the many wonderful aspects that Amateur Radio has to offer. We are now in our 10th anniversary year.
How Do I Join?
Membership is FREE to any youth that is age qualified and for those young at heart who would like to climb on board as a coach/mentor. Email Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org and your request will be processed quickly! You will also receive a nice certificate with your very own membership number to hang on the radio room wall!!
What is New?
- Eleven of our members presented in the 2015-16-17 Dayton Hamventions. Ed KG8CX was one of the presenters in the Instructor's Forum in 2015 giving an overview of YACHT and DAR programs. Hiram Percy Maxim award was given to Chris Brault KD8YVJ in 2016. The 2017 recipient was Skylar Fennell KD0WHB, both YACHT members. The 2017 Newsline Young Ham of the Year is Marty Sullaway KC1CWF, also a member.
- A new chapter in international ham radio relations was started in Sept. 2015 with a friendship net between a group of South African young hams - Hammies Amateur Radio Club - and YACHT.
It is held on the 1st Saturday of each month at 1pm CST, 8pm in So. Africa, on the W8PIF-R echolink system.
- YACHT is growing with many new members signed on in 2017 both youth and adults.
- We also have a Facebook page under <YACHT Young Amateurs Communications Ham Team>
- Two members made presentations in the Youth Forum at the ARRL Great Lakes Div. Hamfest in October 2017
Come on board with us. We'd love to have you as we set the stage for continued involvement for the next generation of hams.
The original site was originally created by Edward Doyle KJ4NRN and turned over to Ed Engleman KG8CX who administers its content. The current and newer site was originated by Jerry Goodson W5BFF and turned over to Ed in early 2017. Keep checking our new website for the latest news, updates, and photos.
For those interested in doing a net control turn, the preamble is listed below:
Questions or Comments?
On YACHT e-mail: email@example.com