Who are we?
Over 345 young and adult hams., ages 8 to adult. Organized in 2007 with members now in 33 States and 9 countries, Wales, Sweden, Germany, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia, and USA. We also have over 50 Adult members who act as resources and support for our activities, when needed and called upon. Click on the <Home> link above for our main page.
What are we?
We are an international group whose major purpose is to experience the ways we can enjoy the many aspects of amateur radio! Promoting it to others and maintaining a connection with each other through weekly newsletters, on the air contacts, this website, along with occasional team wide activities. Our name was modified in 2014 to <Young Amateurs Communications Ham Team> to reflect our focus on all phases of ham radio.
When & Where do we Meet?
Visit with us on Sat. at 7pm CST on the YACHT Youth echolink net, on the YACHT echolink conference node #954283 and on the W8PIF-R repeater #481872. You can also contact the Menominee DAR club K8DAR through the W8PIF-R. We also maintain a team web page which you are on right now. We also host s Fellowship Chat on Tuesday 7pm CST. We occasionally run an early youth net check on random Saturdays around 1pm CST.
Why do we have YACHT?
YACHT was organized in the summer of 2007 by Jim Pearson (KS8O), and Ed Engleman (KG8CX). We saw the need to provide for the continuation of our great hobby among young amateurs. Also to provide them with the challenge, excitement and enjoyment of the many wonderful aspects that Amateur Radio has to offer. We are now in our 10th anniversary year.
How Do I Join?
Membership is FREE to any youth that is age qualified and for those young at heart who would like to climb on board as a coach/mentor. Email Ed at email@example.com and your request will be processed quickly! You will also receive a nice certificate with your very own membership number to hang on the radio room wall!!
What is New?
- 17 of our members presented in the 2015-16-17,18,19 Dayton Hamventions. Ed KG8CX was one of the presenters in the Instructor's Forum in 2015 giving an overview of YACHT and DAR programs. Hiram Percy Maxim award was given to Chris Brault KD8YVJ in 2016. The 2017 recipient was Skylar Fennell KD0WHB, both YACHT members. The 2017 Newsline Young Ham of the Year is Marty Sullaway KC1CWF, also a member. The 2018 Newsline young ham was Bryant Rascoll KG5HVO another member
- A new chapter in international ham radio relations was started in Sept. 2015 with a friendship net between a group of South African young hams - Hammies Amateur Radio Club - and YACHT. It has been replaced with an early check-in and DX net on several Saturdays a month.
- YACHT is growing with many new members signed on in betweemn 2017 -2019 both youth and adults.
- We also have a Facebook page under <YACHT Young Amateurs Communications Ham Team>
- Numerous members made presentations in the Youth Forum at the Dayton Hamvention from 2014-2019
Come on board with us. We'd love to have you as we set the stage for continued involvement for the next generation of hams.
The original site was originally created by Edward Doyle KJ4NRN and turned over to Ed Engleman KG8CX who administers its content. The current and newer site was originated by Jerry Goodson W5BFF and turned over to Ed in early 2017. Keep checking our new website for the latest news, updates, and photos.
For those interested in doing a net control turn, the preamble is listed below:
Questions or Comments?
On YACHT e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org